On Sunday we celebrated Mother's Day with Mamma Dinah and Derick's mom Nancy at Derick's parents' house. After grilling chicken and vegetable-kabobs, Derick and I settled in to relax on the couch, while the rest of the families discussed the usage of the word "salver" at the kitchen table. Derick's dad Greg turned to us and asked, "Did you know you were marrying such a nerd?'' It was all in good fun.
Alright, I know I am a nerd, but for years I have been fiercely defending my many oddities as creative and individual. Being the girl who actually did tape together her thick plastic glasses in the sixth grade, I must now admit that I am a nerd.
I still think sorting socks by color and matching the number of holes is just good time management. I usually have to get dressed in a hurry, and I know socks are only supposed to have one hole, but sometimes they have more, and that is just life. I have to be able to quickly decide holey or no-holey when I know I will definitely be taking my shoes off that day. Tucking my shirt into my cleavage is just simply being modest for those of us who have been blessed more than others, and don't want to give away the farm when bending over, holding children, etc. I will give you that highlighting the words I don't know in my dictionary is a red, glaring, neon Nerd-Alert, but at least I am making myself aware of what I don't know.
In the end, Derick loves my many oddities and nerdiness, so even if he never imagined he would marry someone like me, he is thrilled that he is.
13 comments:
Captain Nerd! You are okay in my books....love ya lots...mum
hello you! i'm so happy to hear of your engagement. marriage is a blessing. Seriously! i hope you are doing well. I'm glad you have a blog so well can all keep in touch. your fiance seems wonderful. ! keep in touch!
i prefer the word "quirky". for one - it's just a fun word to say...quirky...try it...quirky. don't ya love it.
and for B. i think it's just a kinder, gentler term when referring to other peoples more "individual" qualities. for instance, i prefer the term "pacing myself" as opposed to "lazy fat butt" when it comes to the doing of laundry. the differences are subtle...but you get the idea.
and i love quirky - movies, songs, humor...people. looking forward to seeing you in all your quirkiness very soon. love ya.
quirky...rather than odd or nerdy.
sorry my train of thought ended up on another track before i finished my initial sentence.
As Bella says, "we are a silly family!" Life is so much more fun when you can laugh at yourself. i sure love you the way you are.
I wish I was nerdy enough to even pair up my socks - at the moment I have a whole washing basket dedicated to socks. Hope you guys have a nice experience together as Derick goes through the temple for the first time. xx
We all have our nerdy qualities! :)
I think it is smart to leave the baby thing in the Lord's hands. When we got married we thought we would prevent it for a while and ended up getting prego 2 1/2 months into our marriage anyway! I'm so happy how it all turned out and it made me realize the babies come when they are supposed to come no matter what our plans are.
I am a proud nerd right along with you Ari!
Less than a week now until you're Mrs. Graf. I should be at the wedding, but if not, I'll definately be at the reception. I know you don't get a lot of time these days, but if you do get a chance, check out my blog page. I put up a montage of the kids. See ya soon!
Michelle
http://michelleuniverse.blogspot.com/
That reminds me of something Colin said to me once. I remarked to him that someone had looked at me like I was weird or something, and he said, in astonishment and great sincerity, "Well you sure don't think you're normal, do you?" Nice.
And by the way, congratulations! You're fantastic and I'm so gosh-dang happy for you!!!
hey mrs. grap - looking forward to seeing some of your honeymoon snaps - selected ones of course!! :)
so what are you going to rename your blog since the "soon" has no passed, and you already "are"?
so glad to have been there for your wedding - it was so lovely to meet derick and his family, to fall in love with them so quickly. it was so good to feel so much a part of everything having not been a part of anything in your lives for so long. i love the testament that is to the power of family.
and...yes, yes, yes, come see us, we'd love it!
our love to all, sharry and family
Ariana, honeymoon over, we now want to hear about the wedding and about setting up your new love nest.xx
Post a Comment